Clean makeup brushes are not just pleasing for the eyes but are also vital to maintain the health of your skin. Brushes that have traces of makeup become a breeding ground for bacteria and thus cause breakouts. Proper cleaning will also increase the life of your brushes. Read on to know step by step procedure to keep your make up brushes clean:
1. Wash with water: Put your brushes under a stream of water with its head facing downward. This is to save the metal bands of the brush from getting rusted and loosen the bristles.
2. Cleanse: You can cleanse your brushes by applying a drop of baby shampoo on the hair. Don’t use your regular shampoo as it might be too hard for soft brush hair.
3. Lather: Massage the brush hair on your palm and create lather. Alternatively use your fingers to clean even the inner layer of hair.
4. Rinse: After a good lather has come, rinse the brush under a water stream with the head down. Keep it there unless there are no traces of soap in the brush.
5. Pat dry: Place your brushes on a soft towel and pat them dry. Avoid leaving them soaked in water as the hair will fall apart.
6. Reshape the brushes: The next step is to reshape the brush manually and put them in the same position for six to eight hours. Blow drying or putting them back to their place will change the shape of the brush.
7. Conditioning: If you feel that your makeup brush has become hard overtime, you can also use your hair conditioner to condition your brushes. Follow the same process as shampoo.
You can easily perform the brush clean up every week as it takes no more than ten minutes. Apart from this, you can also spray clean your brushes daily with a brush cleanser. All you need to do is to spray a few drops on a tissue and clean the brush hair with it. This is all the more important if your skin is acne prone.